2013 Top 20 Places to Take Kids in the Ann Arbor - Detroit Area
The 2013 Top 20 Places to take children in the Ann Arbor - Detroit Area
1. The Detroit Zoo - This zoo is very large and offers a lot for families to do each time they visit. The zoo has amazing habitats to get up close to the animals including the Arctic Ring of Life, the Australian Outback and the Butterfly House. There are also weeknight concerts throughout the summer, a carousel for kids to ride on, and a number of family friendly events offered throughout the year.
2. Ann Arbor Hands-on-Museum - A museum designed with little children in mind. The exhibits that rotate through the museum are designed to engage children in learning. Children can visit any number of exhibits, including The Block Party, where they can let their imagination run wild while they become little architects, or the Engineers on a Roll, where they can build and create in the playscape where they build and sort balls in motion.
3. The Henry Ford - America's Greatest History Attraction - This attraction includes five different places to visit. We have included them all under one name, but they could be visited individually. Included in the five attractions are: Greenfield Village, The Henry Ford Museum, The Ford Rouge Factory Tour, The Benson Ford Research Center, and the Henry Ford IMAX Theater. Whether traveling back in time at Greenfield Village or visiting the museum to see some of the 26 million artifacts housed inside, there will be something for everyone in your family.
4. Comerica Park :The Detroit Tigers - Even if watching baseball is not your favorite pasttime, you will enjoy heading downtown Detroit to see the sights at Comerica Park. You can take in a game with the family, ride the Ferris wheel or the carousel, and eat some ballpark food.
5. Guernsey Farms Dairy - A local dairy found right in Northville, MI. You can enjoy a meal or just a real Guernsey ice cream cone. On a hot summer day you will want to take your ice cream out to the big rock and enjoy with lots of other locals.
6. Three Cedars Farm - This local farm has everything for Fall and Winter from hayrides, u-pick apples, pumpkins, and a Country Christmas with hot chocolate and pictures with Mr. and Mrs. Claus.
7. Local Libraries - There are a number of libraries throughout the communities between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Libraries offer many family friendly events and are a popular destination all year long.
8. Jungle Java - An indoor playspace that offers a soft play structure for children to climb on and play in. While the children play, parents can enjoy a latte in the cozy coffee shop. A great place for playdates and birthday parties.
9. Natural History Museum- A museum that offers four floors of exhibits including the largest display of dinosaurs in Michigan. The museum also houses a planetarium that has a number of different shows for all ages.
10. Metroparks - This includes all of the metroparks in the area. These parks offer a great number of activities including hiking, biking, boating, sledding hills, cross country trails. There are also many family events that different parks offer throughout the year including learning about different animals, making maple syrup, and astronomy lessons.
11. Toledo Zoo - Our area is fortunate to have two great zoos in the area. This zoo is on the smaller size which makes it great for little legs. Be sure to visit Nature's Neighborhood which is an interactive area for little ones at the zoo. It includes The Tree House, climbing wall, play stream to cool off in, and the Fisher-Price Discovery Stage and Animal Demos during the warmer months.
12. Sky Zone Canton - An indoor trampoline park with special times for all ages including pre-school jump, junior and senior high school jump times, open jump times, dodgeball tournaments, and Skyrobics.
13. Bonaventure/Skatin' Station - These rollerskating rinks work together to create family entertainment in our area. Both rinks host a number of skate night fundraisers for schools, offer skating lessons, and specialize in birthday parties.
14. Leslie Science & Nature Center - A nonprofit organization that desires to instill in children, families, and individuals the importance of being responsible with the world we have. They offer classes, camps, family bonfires, and other events that coincide with the season.
15. Paradise Park - An amusement park right in Novi. Choose from indoor and outdoor activities including go-karts, mini golf, climbing wall, trampoline, laser tag, and a video arcade.
16. American Coney Island - A must visit restaurant in downtown Detroit. Voted the best Coney Island Restaurant by The Food Network and The Travel Channel.
17. Marquis Theatre - A historical theatre found in downtown Northville. This theatre offers a number of shows throughout the school year, and hosts theatre camps during the summer.
18. The Thanksgiving Day Parade - This is more of an event than a place, but is a family must see in Detroit. This parade is downtown Detroit and makes its way down Woodward Avenue.
19. Plymouth Whalers - Hockey and Michigan go together like peanut butter and jelly. The Plymouth Whalers games are a great family destination.
20. Historic Downtowns - The historic downtowns of Northville, Plymouth, and Ann Arbor all host quaint stores, restaurants, and coffee shops to visit.